gisbelle

Gisbelle

I love reading practically any genres, except historical romance. However, I tend to read more contemporary than fantasy.

Storm
Brigid Kemmerer
Sapphire Blue (Precious Stone Trilogy, #2)
Kerstin Gier
WILD CARDS
Simone Elkeles
The 5th Wave
Rick Yancey
Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) - Colleen Hoover Review originally posted here: http://yaobsession.blogspot.com/2012/11/point-of-retreat-author-colleen-hoover.html#comment-form

As much as I loved the first book, Slammed, I have to be honest and say that this book, Point of Retreat, is a disappointment comparing to the first book, which I loved so much. I was so thrilled when I started reading. Who would not? This one was even told from Will's point of view!

This book continued telling the lives of these young lovers after Lake's mother passed away. Anyway, since this book was told from Will's POV, I began to see Lake for her true self - an immature, annoying girl. There were so many times that I wanted to straggle her for being so irritable.

Let's start with the time Will and Lake had a misunderstanding. She started acting weird. For a 19-year-old girl who was supposed to be the legal guardian of her brother, Lake behaved like a 5year old. Sneaking in to Will's house to get the stars her mother had left her (we'll get to that later), and shoved them in her shirt when she was caught. Please! That was so cheesy.

Another one was after she was discharged from the hospital, part of her hair had been cut/shaved in order for the doctors to do their job saving her freaking life. And she cried for that? Really? That was supposed to be one of the "romantic" part of the book, I presumed, when Will, being a nice, but silly man that he was, cut a part of his hair also to make her feel better. That was so stupid if you ask me. If I were Will, I would have said, "Oh, grow up!"

As for the stars left by Lake's mother for both Will and Lake to turn to when their lives were getting too tough, I found that was so unrealistic whatsoever. It gave advice just like the mother was still alive. Like she saw what was happening.Oh, please! That was too good to be true.

I cannot tell you how many books I have read that adapt similar plot where the girlfriend caught her boyfriend being with another girl, and misunderstood that for cheating. Once I read and found out the author also added Will's ex-girlfriend, Vaughn, it was kind of predictable how the story would go.

I am sure many people will disagree with me. But this is how I felt about the book. I really respect the author for her hard-work. However, Lake was too butterflying annoying!!!